Monday, February 25, 2013

I'll Take It - A Parenting Post

I'll Take It.


I was all set to write a curriculum review post.  I even head the header ready.  However after doing the "goodnight" rounds, I'd rather write a little about savoring the everyday normal things.  Perhaps this cheesy song says it better than I can.  I've always loved it, cheesy or not!





And the words:

I count it as a privilege
I count it cause for praise
to kiss my children goodnight
at the close of everyday
for I know too soon they’re off and gone
and walkin’ out the door
and I’ll never have a child to kiss
goodnight anymore
It’s very strange how times have changed
from the present to the past
when did they grow so quickly
the time has flown so fast
for it seems that only yesterday
I helped him with his shirt
or pat my baby on the back
or kissed away a hurt
tell the story read a book
wipe a nose or tie a shoe
they never ask me to rub their back
the way they used to do
once it was a bother
just a troublesome kind of chore
now I would give anything
to do it just once more
mommy bounce me on your knee
daddy flip me in the air
throw a rubber ball to me
and help me comb my hair
mommy tickle my tummy
daddy hold me high
let’s go outside for awhile
or make a kite to fly
I count it as a privilege
I count it cause for praise
to kiss my children goodnight
at the close of everyday
for I know too soon they’re off and gone
and walkin’ out the door
and I’ll never have a child to kiss
goodnight anymore.
I've actually never loved bedtimes, because, like most, I'm pretty exhausted by this time & I am ready for a quick goodnight and off to have alone time or do something that needs to be done.  I say that knowing that someone reading this may just be Longing, Longing for this privilege.  I do not want to be insensitive to this fact.  
You hear it when you are pushing your grocery cart with a newborn in it  
"Enjoy.  It goes by so quickly."
I spent a little while during both Noelle & Micah's 9th birthdays crying because it was HALF over!  
"Let us spend one day as deliberately as Nature, and not be thrown off track by every nutshell and mosquito's wing that falls on the rails.  Let us rise early and fast, or break fast, gently and without perturbation; let company come and let company go, let the bells ring and the children cry,--determine to make a day of it"  Henry David Thoreau

I do not believe in child-centered parenting, (although if you know me primarily through facebook you may think I do, since I talk of my kiddos a lot).  
However... as often as we can...
Yes, I'll help you look out for the "bad guys."
Yes, I will come to the circus.
Yes, I'll play a game with you.


















Yes, I want to see what you made.

Yes, I'll color with you.

Yes, I'll snuggle with you for a few minutes.

Yes, I'll play in the snow with you.

Yes, we'll swing some more.












Yes, let's sing that song again.
Let's read that book again.
One more goodnight kiss.


I WILL love you forever.
I WILL like you for always.
As long as I'm living my babies you'll be.













Even the ones that are a little painful to this heart o' mine:


Yes, we can wash the car.









"The walks & talks we have with our two-year-olds in red boots have a great deal to do with the values they will cherish as adults."
-Edith F. Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment