Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A Day with my Dear Daughter - A Wendy Post

A couple of weeks ago Noelle asked if I would take her to Old Navy so that she could do some shopping, with her own money.  I said "yes" and also said I would buy her a belt, since that is the only item that I think she actually needs.  So, the next day we went to town with the intention of fulfilling this request of Noelle's.  However, after 5,628 errands,
(this may be a slight exaggeration), I told Noelle that I just couldn't do it.  I didn't have the energy & we would have to do it another time.  She was very gracious.

So - today was the day.
7:45 doctor appointment to address allergies & eczema
9:00 eye appointment
12:45 hair cut appointment

Today fell on the heels of a "meeting" she requested to have with me last night.  She wanted to discuss her "educational goals" for this coming school year ~grade 7.
(How cute.  I mean, seriously.)
As an aside, I will mention what we came up with:

Language - Shurley English 7
Science - Rainbow Science & labs
Physical Education - dance & yoga
Foreign Language - Latin & Greek
Math - Saxon 7/6 AND Saxon 8/7
Health - 2x/month meeting with people to learn their expertise - first aid, nutrition, etc.
Literature - her choice
Social Studies - Leagues & Legends, Don't Know Much About History & A Child's History of the World
Library skills - learn the Dewey Decimal System classifications
fine arts - Young Curators, guitar, dance, painters & composers, poetry

~continue with typing, blogging & Greek & Roman studies.
~find a spelling curriculum
~she even went on to say that she wants a set schedule, etc.

So - the point is, we were beginning our day in a very good place.  :)

Back to School shopping...
We have never really done back to school shopping, (even when they were actually in school.)
Who decided that August & September are when my child needs new clothes?  I think my child needs new clothes when she has outgrown the ones she currently has.  (novel concept, I know!)

Oh, that reminds me.
Back to yesterday.
While I was working, Noelle took the initiative to clean up various aspects of the house.  So, so sweet.  I do not want her to expect to get paid for that type of thing.
I really don't think she will expect that, since I don't usually do that sort of thing!
However... I did decide to give her $10 toward her clothes shopping today.
Plus, as mentioned, I bought her a belt.

We only went to one store.  That is just how lousy I am about shopping!  It was exhausting for me!!  But she loved it.
Well, plus she got a new haircut today.
I did decline getting new glasses since her prescription change was so small.  She's only had her current ones for about a year and a half...
Anyway, she loved it & was so sweet & appreciative that I took her shopping, even though she had to pay for most of it herself!

New shoes, new pants, new shirt.
(very cute side note:  She liked the way Lily Fryer was dressed at church on Sunday, so this look is very loosely based on her!)  :)

New shorts, new belt.
(shorter shorts & skinny jeans are a compromise for us.  I don't love them, but I allow them.)


New sweater, ($1 - who can resist??), new shorts.

Noelle still has a balance on the Olive Garden giftcard she won.  So she treated me to lunch.  So yum!  Her haircut took forever.  I sat in the waiting room, drank a most delicious cup of tea, read some of my book & even took a mini nap!  She was so happy to get a fresh look & I resisted that Mom-ly urge to say that I don't really like exactly how they did the bangs.  It was on the tip of my tongue, but how damaging and deflating that would have been to her!  I need to be her biggest cheerleader so if you hear me doing that, (cheering for her), I'm unashamed to do so.

I am so exhausted from 8.5 hours "in town", running around, waiting, shopping, all spent with lots & lots & lots of preteen talking!

I would not change this day for ANYthing.

What a privilege & what a blessing that I have:
~the time to spend a day with my daughter
~A healthy daughter who walks & talks with me
~a car that works

Investing in my daughter's life is so, so, so  worth it.

One of my favorite quotes, when the kids were little, used to be something like:
"the walks & talks we have with our 2 year olds in red boots have a lot to do with what they become..."

Now I will say:
"the walks & talks we have with our preteens in vans & stores have a lot to do with what they become..."




I LOVE you, Noelle!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment