Friday, October 17, 2014

For all the Thank You Notes I've Never Written!

I used to be really 'good' about thank you notes.
Obnoxiously good.
Start-writing-them-between-the-reception-and-first-night-of-your-honeymoon-destination- good.

(I used to rotate my bath towels for even usage too!  Detestable!  Who has time for that!  These days we find clean towels on the couch that haven't been folded yet & grab one!!!)

I was taught that thank you notes are important.
I still believe that they are important.

But somewhere between that honeymoon and now, things have gotten slightly... chaotic!
Sometimes they get done.  Sometimes they don't.  Sometimes they get written and lost.  Sometimes they get written and never sent.  Goodness!

I do hope that the chaos will settle & I will get back to my nauseating thank you note writing!!

But in the meantime...
I am grateful.  (And sorry!  Boy, am I sorry!!!)
I so greatly appreciate the hand-me-down clothes for my kids
& the food
& the encouragement
& the cards
& the book
& the giftcards
& the blankets
& the rides
& the showers
& the advice
& the little gifts
& the big ones!

I notice & I soak in the love & kindness!

(Please keep in mind the chaotic part here!!)  It could be that you gave me a bag and when I got home it was forgotten & I haven't exactly examined the contents yet!!  (Yes, this has happened recently!  Twice.)  It could be that I have honestly forgotten!  It could be that the card got lost in the mail????   (Okay, probably not!!)

Years ago when I was pregnant with Noelle & so overwhelmed by the kindness of so many people, I remember saying to my mom that I would never be able to repay/ give back to these people in the way they had given to me.  Mom gave me some good advice that life doesn't work that way.  We receive.  We give.  It's not usually in a back-to-the-same-person, equal kind of way.  We give to others, as we feel prompted, and they in turn give to those they feel prompted to give to.  And so on it goes.

Perhaps your gift to me...  rather, another gift to me... can be some grace just in case you did not receive a thank you note.  And I, in turn, will not mind if others do not send me thank you notes!!  Unless they have time to rotate their towels for even usage!!  In those cases, they certainly have time to write me a note!!  jk

No comments:

Post a Comment