Monday, May 4, 2015

Our 'May the 4th' Celebration


The very first time I saw the Star Wars movies, the only Star Wars movies at the time, was my freshman year of college, (1994-1995), at Philadelphia College of Bible.  It was a Saturday & a student group had set up a Star Wars marathon:  All 3 in one day, one right after the other.

I noticed that Luke Skywalker's appearance changed & was told that he was in a severe accident between movies.  Frankly, I don't remember any other impressions.  Even now, I can't claim to be a true fan.  I don't dislike Star Wars, I'm just not very 'into' Science Fiction & I can never understand what is going on in the movies!!

We really did it all wrong with how we introduced Star Wars to Micah!  In February, 2014, we were on vacation as a family & decided to watch Star Wars, since most of the movies we watch as a family are more on the 'Girl Movie' side of things.  (Not that girls can't like Star Wars!!)  However, we were unable to rent the 1st movie.  So instead we watched what I call 'the 2nd movie', but what is actually Episode V:  Star Wars: the Empire Strikes Back(I fully recognize that this approach makes no sense!)  Micah loved it.  Hannah, Noelle & D~I'm not so sure!  While on vacation Micah purchased a Star Wars Lego set at Sherman's Bookstore.  We also watched Episode VI:  Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.

To make mixed-up matters worse, I found Episode I: The Phantom Menace at Goodwill, so he watched that one.  He bought more Star Wars Legos.  He watched episodes of The Clone Wars.

It wasn't until a couple of months ago, Valentine's Day, 2015, that he was able to finally watch 'the first movie':  Episode IV:  Star Wars:A New Hope!!  (He did say that this helped explain a few things!!!)  I wasn't able to afford the DVDs for him for his Valentine's Day gift, but for a few dollars each I bought him Episodes IV, V & VI on VCR tape!  Hey, they will do for now!  And really, he was thrilled and more than satisfied!

For this upcoming 'May the 4th' Celebration, I ordered him used copies of the remaining two movies.  Episode II:  Star Wars:  Attack of the Clones came in the mail on Saturday & we watched that one last night.  Micah is hoping that the final one, Episode III: Star Wars:  Clone Wars, will come in today's mail.

So that is how we got to today~ A quick & silly & fun little celebration, in the midst of a busy day, to celebrate Star Wars!

There must be presents!  (My kids have been pretty spoiled this last year of homeschooling!)



 

Today is busy because we have a homeschool Literature Fair in Hampden, we have our regularly scheduled Monday activities:  Noelle has dance & she volunteers for 2 hours at the Boys & Girls Club.  Plus we have the unexpected things, such as three jakes within 10 feet of our property!!  (They got away!)  So I put all the food out this morning & basically said, "Go for it!"  We ate our breakfasts & our lunches out of the food!

I looked online for ideas that would be fairly easy to do, inexpensive & would not involve too much of an overload of sugar!

 At 10:00 last night I looked at this watermelon & said, "I will give you 10 minutes!"  So this was as deathstar-y it got in that time period!


 See what we did here!?  Plus, with feta on the side!






However, if you give your kids light sabers...


sometimes they knock over the bantha milk, even though you promised your son that if he let you borrow his Star Wars legos that no food would get on them!  Ah, we are keeping it real!!
Note:  No tears were shed over the spilling of this milk!  :) 



Then, for fun, we played a few very quick games!

1.  Destroy the Deathstars!
Even 'big kids' like an excuse sometimes to play with bubbles!


2.  Jedi Mind Trick!
I had the kids each pick a number between 1-10.  Then I had them do a series of things to it, such as +6, -1, +3, -5, +4, etc.  Then I had them subtract their original number from what they had.  Then, I was able to guess their final answer, and they were amazed that not only did I guess correctly, even though they started out with different numbers, they ended up with the same one!  I used the force!

3.  Firing Proton Torpedoes into the Deathstar's thermal exhaust port!
Piper really liked this game!



4.  Feel the Force!  (A Tasting Game!)
Both Noelle & Micah were blindfolded & fed the same items.  At the count of three, they said aloud, at the same time, what they thought the item was!  Micah won by only one point & it was fun!  Some were easy & some were hard, (coffee creamer!) and apparently the lemon was not a favorite!  (On that one, Micah guessed lime & Noelle guessed kimchi!)  The stormtrooper water came in handy!






May the 4th Be With You!

No comments:

Post a Comment