Friday, March 15, 2013

The Times They are a- Changin' - A Parenting Post

"As the present nowWill later be pastThe order isRapidly fadin'.. the times they - they are a-changin'..."-Bob Dylan



Gone are the playdate days.


Well, mostly.  
It's in the air- change & adolescence & the movement toward independence, all as it is supposed to be.  I also know that the beginnings of boy stuff is in the air.  (gulp.)
Please do not think that I am pushing my dearest ones toward relationship.  I am not.  Neither do I think they are running in that direction.  I'm just saying... the times, they are a-changin'.  It's clear!
I am so thankful that Noelle is quite upfront and honest with me about how she is feeling about most things.  She has had some crushes.  About 2 years ago I was really concerned because it seemed as though she was becoming very interested in boys.  Thankfully that has cooled & she seems to really want what God wants for her.  There just happen to be some very nice boys from very nice homes around, that is all.  (No, it is not  lost on me that I happened to like boys.  A lot.)  
One of the reasons I am quite glad that she is not in school is because, since we do have one in school, I see how MAJORLY boy-girl stuff plays into their lives, (not D's.)  Yikers!!  Not being around that boy-craziness on a regular basis really puts her in another sort-of level of living, possibly even seeming or being immature and innocent.  
However, the times they are a-changin'.  I'm more than aware of who would be on the short list.  Oh boy.
So moms & dads, please be raising your sons so that will respect my daughters.  As it is, they are going to have to interview with us if they want to date them anyway!  And we WILL be asking the hard questions & stating our expectations and God's boundaries for spending time with our girls.
I've long suggested to my kiddos that hanging out with groups of friends, when they are older, is a great idea.  Get to know a whole bunch of people in a non-exclusive, casual way.  Hey, they can come over here for campfires & games & lotsa food.  We're looking into some options for youth groups/ student ministry stuff for the girls.
Other moms & dads, we can do this!  God will help us.  We do not have to pattern this after the "norm."  


Even so, oh man, it is so clear... the times, they are a-changin'.....

No comments:

Post a Comment