Thursday, December 26, 2013

I Like Useful Hobbies Best! - A Wendy Post

I had always wanted to learn how to knit.
I'm just a bit of a late bloomer.

As I sit here tonight knitting a hat for a loved one, I am reminded that it was one year ago yesterday that I picked up some needles and said, "I am going to learn how to do this!"  It was Christmas Day and due to D's schedule, we weren't celebrating on Christmas anyway, so I had volunteered to work.  I worked 7-3 and was ready!!  I was counting on business being slow, and it was!

Full disclosure:  My friend, Naomi, had started teaching me, (and others), a basic knit-only scarf.  So that lesson was actually my first time knitting.  I worked at it a bit, but I put it down & I hadn't picked it up again.  In fact, I didn't even remember how to do it!  Thank goodness for the internet!


And may I say~ learning to knit has just been so, so good for me!  Healthy hobby-ing.  Gift making.  Accomplishment.  Bucket List Check-off.  Something to do while I'm waiting.  JOY!

The above picture shows my first completed project:  A simple knitted scarf.  With mistakes.  :)  

I spent a day learning to purl.
And another day learning to cable.
I've learned that I much prefer natural fibers, but I can't always afford them.
I've probably ripped out as many things as I've made.  
I didn't knit at all for at least 3 months, starting in July.  I guess maybe it's true that sometimes you don't feel like knitting in the warm months!

I've made at least 23 scarves, some for winter & some ruffle scarves.

I have made at least 12 hats, learning a lot in the process!



I've made 6 pairs of mittens, almost all thumbless baby ones.  My goal is to get really good at making quality socks & mittens!


I've made 5 dishcloths & one shawl & one baby blanket.  
I've been able to make at least 25 gifts for people.  I've been able to donate two items for auctions.

I am having a blast!

I have oh-so-much to learn, but it's not a burden sort-of learning it's a want-to-know-more sort of learning.  I can't wait until I can make sweaters & socks!!

There's a bone-deep, satisfied, filled-up feeling that comes with creating.  And for me, that is much more richly so when there is a product at the end, such as a row of canned goods or beautiful, finished knitting projects.  

We all need hobbies!  NEED!  They fill a place that regular work cannot.  

"A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine
and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places,
making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints."
-Wilfred Peterson

So.. to paraphrase Dr. Seuss... 
be it knitting or sewing or designing or felting or quilting or beading~
'You're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So... get on your way!'







No comments:

Post a Comment