Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Simple Presents/ Simple Christmas Presence - A Christmas/Wendy Post

My mom gave me some good advice, the Christmas that Noelle had her first stocking, which I think was when she was one and a half:  (or 2 1/2, I can't remember!)  "You're never going to be able to go 'more simple'.  The expectations for stocking stuffers will be more, more, more and never less.  So, start simply.  Help Noelle appreciate the simple things."

So, Noelle's first stocking had in it:
a new pair of socks
a pear
lots of little boxes of raisins
a box of animal crackers.

We have kept the tradition of the raisins & the animal crackers.

A few days ago I was shopping for a 'tag' Noelle & I took off the Shepherd's Godparent Home gift tree:  "developmental toys for 6-12 month old".  I try to support small businesses, if possible, so I went to The Briar Patch & purchased 2 quality, age-appropriate toys.  After purchasing them I thought about what else I should get to go with the two toys.  Then I thought - Wendy!  Good grief!  For Micah's first Christmas, when he was 6.5 months old he received:  spoons!  That's right!  We needed baby spoons so that is the only thing we gave him for Christmas!  When Noelle was 6 months old, for her first Christmas, we gave her:
I came to the conclusion that 2 quality toys are enough for a 6-12 month old!!  

Several years ago at my previous job, a lady I work with was, at Thanksgiving time, very excited because she was going to get a lot of great deals for her 16-year old son.  She bought him the latest gaming system, several hundred dollars worth of clothes, a new computer, etc.  Her demeanor changed greatly in early January when she deeply regretted buying nearly a thousand dollars worth of Christmas presents, as she tried to get extra hours.  

Now that we are just one week away from Christmas, I've started collecting together the presents & making sure we have everything ready.  It hit my mommy guilt gland that Micah only has two presents.  How would he react?  He's receiving a Hobbit Lego set & the game, Settlers of Catan.  (Keep in mind, Micah's parents are divorced, so he will receive a healthy dose of gifts from Dad too.)  Anyway, I decided to just prepare him by telling him that we have a great stocking for him & 2 presents.  He was 100% fine with that.

It isn't wrong to 'go big' with gifts at Christmas time.
It isn't 'right' to 'go small.'

My personal opinion is that a Christmas more on the small side helps foster the things I think are important, especially at Christmas time:
~An appreciation & true gratefulness for both what we have & what we receive, directed first to God & then to the giver.
~An emphasis on the true meaning of Christmas:  "And the Word became flesh & dwelt among us."
~A de-emphasis on the gimmes
~A greater emphasis on love, family time, togetherness, joy, hope, and contentment than on things.

There are exceptions to every rule.  Some Christmases one child needs more, or has a special event coming up!  Go for it & do not fall into the "Even Steven" trap!  One of my mantras is:  "Fair is not equal & equal is not fair."  

What children live is their normal.  We do not have to live what the world says is 'normal' in any area of our lives, nor should we in most circumstances!  (Don't even get me started:  birth control, early education, moral standards, etc!)  ANYway... in spite of Hallmark films heralding the values and virtues of simple Christmases, I don't think that's reality for many families.  However, I do think that individual families absolutely do want simple & meaningful Christmases, following family traditions & feeling warm fuzzies.  It is just very easy to get sucked into the must have more of this present culture.  

Prepare the hearts of your littles to appreciate & wonder.
Celebrate the simple and don't fall into the trap of being bigger & better & more expensive.
           ice skating & special treats & cozy movies & family games &
           twinkling lights & snuggles on the couch & reading Luke chapter 2...

We have our own little set of troubles here in our family this Christmas.  We aren't the only ones.  Those suffering with cancer.  Mental illness.  Broken relationships.  Unemployment.  Financial Crisis.  

But you know, that very first Christmas in Bethlehem so long ago... it wasn't marked by perfect either.  The circumstances & the setting & the details & the people were not perfect.  BUT, that first Christmas was  marked by The Perfect One.

Author & Finisher of our faith
Bread of Life
Wonderful Counselor
Almighty God
Everlasting Father
Prince of Peace
The Holy One of Israel

It was marked by The Perfect One, Jesus & it was marked with the greatest love and yes, simplicity too.  

I want my children to enjoy their presents & the decorations & the traditional events, concerts, songs and parades.  I want them to feel warm fuzzies.  But most of all I want them to see and know that Jesus Christ is the perfect center of Christmas and that spending Christmas with the people they love far trumps getting lots of 'stuff.'


No comments:

Post a Comment