Friday, May 16, 2014

Literature Fair ~A Home Education Post

This morning we attended a small homeschool literature fair at the Public Safety Building in Hampden, put on & hosted by two homeschooling moms.  I met them a few years ago through Tony's science classes.

To be honest, it was so nice to attend something where all I had to do was show up & enjoy!!

This was a small group - 9 students, ranging from about ages 8-12.  The moms prepared book-themed snacks, which were just so cute!





Each student had an opportunity to present his/her project.  Since they are few in number, I will share them here!

1.  Micah loves Swiss Family Robinson, so this was his favorite project.  The student explained all about the island and what they found & did there.


2.  This student presented The Penderwicks in such a way that I think I would enjoy these books a lot!


She also showed us some, (oh dear, what is it called?), shuttle tatting, I think!  


3.  3 Siblings did an amazing project.  They made a game with trivia questions based on 45 different books.  Very impressive!




4.  Next was Micah!  He chose his project based on a book about Genghis Khan from the Wicked History series.  He built a yurt/ger and set his Playmobil up.  He prepared a short oral report and had practiced it well.  I'm pleased with how he did!





5.  I'm very pleased with Noelle's choice of Charlie Bones.  She chose this because it 'opened the door' to fantasy literature for her, a genre she now adores!  She feels this book led her to many other good reads.  For a book report Noelle wrote an interview with a character, Olivia, (therefore she wore a purple cape & wig in order to dress up like Olivia.)  A friend read the questions and Noelle answered as Olivia, giving us some insight into the book & characters of Charlie Bones.  Noelle's hope is that some of the other kids would be inspired to read more fantasy too!








6.  Harry is in the Penobscot Dramatic Academy's production of Alice in Wonderland this weekend, so that is the book he chose.  He showed us a UMaine group singing 'Jabberwocky.'  


7.  Mayan chose Diary of a Wimpy Kid for her project.  It was cute to see her, before the 'fair' began, sitting & enjoying one of the books in that series!


We ate the cute & yummy food, had some time for fellowship & 'the boys' checked out the fire engine, conveniently located in the building!  Also, one of the dads is a paramedic with the Hamdpen Fire Department, so he was able to show us around.  I didn't know if Micah would be interested, at his age.  But he enjoyed it as well as the social time!





My cousin, Hannah, was with us.  She has met one of the students before & they write letters back and forth, so it was good for them to see each other again!  We really just had a lovely time & as I said, I enjoyed my lack of responsibility!  As always I appreciate the diversity that homeschooling families bring!  Although I think with any group of students you would see similiar traits as far as these types of projects are concerned.













2 comments:

  1. I found that site very usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious...
    President

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that the literature plays an important role not only in education but only in research. Those who has some amazing ideas should share them on Qanda or other question answering sites.

    ReplyDelete