Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Blessing of Motherhood ~a parenting post

"I thought my mom's whole purpose was to be my mom.  That's how she made me feel."
-Natasha Gregson Wagner

"You give up your self, and finally you don't even mind.  I wouldn't have missed this for anything.  It humbled my ego and stretched my soul.  It gave me whatever crumbs of wisdom I possess today."  -Erica Jong

"There are so many disciplines in being a parent besides the obvious ones like getting up in the night & putting up with the noise during the day.  And almost the hardest of all is learning to be a well of affection and not a fountain, to show them we love them, not when we feel like it, but when they do."  -Nan Fairbrother

"For the mother is and must be, whether she knows it or not, the greatest, strongest, and most lasting teacher her children have."  -Hannah Whitall Smith


"The walks & talks we have with our two-year-olds in red boots have a great deal to do with the values they will cherish as adults." -Edith F. Hunter
(that one is one of my favorites!!!)

Mother's Day.
I do always think on this day about the women who, for a variety of reasons, have empty arms & aching hearts.  

However, I am a mother & the blessing of motherhood can absolutely be celebrated.

I am thankful for my mom.  She did not consider it a loss to 'just' be our mother.  The hard work, the weeks of camp paid for, the mornings of Keys for Kids or a Psalm were not wasted.  She continues to be a major support to me!  (Love you, Marmee!)

God has given me these two children.  Noelle Patricia & Micah Sean.  

It hasn't been exactly as I thought it would be, (but whatever IS?).  I never, ever, ever dreamed that I would be a single mom to them.  Just as strongly, I never, ever, ever dreamed that there would 'only' be two!  I knew since childhood that I wanted about seven children!  This still pains my heart but I do not have far to look to count my blessings!

So, with respect to those with empty arms, I have this earthly joy:

To my Noelle & to my Micah:

This journey of mothering you has been the joy of my life.  
I would not trade this journey for any other thing.  Every tear cried, every Cheerio dropped, every poopy diaper changed, every PT appointment, every discipline & punishment doled out, you are more than worth it.  

I praise our Lord for entrusting me to be your mother.  The edification process has been like no other & I can only imagine that we are just getting started!!  Kind of like Marilla Cuthbert, I feel like, "He knew I needed you!"  

As I have told you so many times, "You can never be so good that I will love you more & you can never be so 'bad' that I will love you less.  I just love you."  

I had a good example, but this is also all that I ever wanted.  To be your mom.  I basically marinated in that first pregnancy, looking forward to the day of birth.  Reading book upon book & storing up the knowledge I would need to raise a baby.  I was made to do this.  

In spite of the unexpected difficulties, it has been everything I could have hoped it to be.  And the journey isn't over yet!  I truly mean it when I say that I can imagine no other way I would rather have spent my time, my money, my life ~than with you & for you!
Late nights prepping for parties & picnics in the yard & literally hundreds of conversations in the van.  

I hold you with an open hand.  It is my hope and prayer that I can be an encouragement to provide growth.  May your talents and natural bents grow under a non-judgemental nourishment.  May you listen to advice & accept instruction so that you will be wise.  I discipline you because I love you.  May you grow in wisdom & in stature & in favor, with God and men.  May you know- always - that no matter what, I will always love you & always look for the best in you & will always, always, always be blessed, just because I am your mom.




No comments:

Post a Comment